Weekly Risk Report | Sunday, August 18

Summary

• Over the past week, the protocol’s volume averaged 41.81% lower than the previous three weeks, with ETH volumes falling the furthest at -54.77%. In CEX perpetual markets, volumes decreased by 29%. With crypto markets quieting over the last week, we view this decline as a reversion to the mean rather than a worrying decrease.
  • Market prices fell by 1.90% (BTC), 3.30% (ETH), and 2.55% (SOL); the JLP price fell by just 0.70%, outperforming its underlying asset basket.
  • Due to long exposure, traders’ realized PnL held steady around -$27.5M in gross terms and -$57M after accounting for fees. In contrast, traders’ cumulative unrealized PnL improved by $12M this week, re-approaching positive territory at -$2M presently.
  • Jupiter’s AUM/TVL grew in notional and token terms over the past seven days. The JLP pool’s per-asset weightage has also hewed closer to its target this week than in weeks past

Protocol level

JLP pool

Jupiter enjoyed positive net deposits for every token over the past seven days, bringing Jupiter’s assets closer to their target weightage.

Every asset in the JLP pool is currently within 1% of its target weightage, a significant improvement over last week when assets like SOL briefly deviated from their targets by as much as 5%.

Utilization trended positively for WBTC and SOL last week, though not for WETH, USDC, and USDT.

JLP Market Comparison

JLP’s price changed by -0.70% over the last week. Over the same period, BTC decreased by 1.90%, ETH decreased by 3.30%, and SOL decreased by 2.55%.

Given the JLP pool’s current weights:

• SOL - 44.16%
  • BTC - 10.08%
  • ETH - 9.48%
  • USDC - 26.93%
  • USDT - 9.36%

JLP’s basket price decreased by 1.63%, reflecting a 0.93% outperformance by LPs thanks to the long-skewed imbalance of open interest amid market-wide declines.

Volume

Volume decreased on Jupiter in the past week compared to previous weeks, averaging $426.16M per day, compared to $732.35M on average in the three weeks prior, a 41.81% decrease. With crypto markets quieting over the last week, we view this decline as a reversion to the mean rather than a worrying decrease.

SOL continues to be the most dominant market on Jupiter, consisting of ~72.9% of the protocol’s long + short volume.

Unique daily users

Looking at unique daily users, it suggests a maximum of ~6K users this week and a low of ~3K, in line with Jupiter’s historical norm.

Realized PnL

Due to long exposure, traders’ PnLs held steady around -$27.5M in gross terms and -$57M after accounting for fees. In contrast, traders’ cumulative unrealized PnLs increased by $12M this week, re-approaching positive territory at -$2M presently.

Fees

Over the past week, Jupiter’s cumulative fees were ~$3.12M, with a daily average of $446.71k, a decrease from $972.21k the previous three weeks.

Market Level

OI distribution

Jupiter’s traders continue to have a strong bias for long positions, and there’s no reason to expect that to change.

SOL:

BTC:

ETH:

Price impact

P99 trades have paid 8.3 bps in the SOL market over the last four weeks, while BTC and ETH markets have paid 6.78 and 6.62 bps, respectively. In all markets, P95 and below continue to pay less than one basis point above six bps, the base rate.

SOL:

BTC:

ETH:

6 Likes

Thank you for the detailed report, as usual! :man_mage: :cat2: :cat2: :black_cat: :cat2:

3 Likes

Never disappoints. Thanks guys🙏🏿

3 Likes

Is there a way for us to check the daily income situation of JUP?

Seems like a reversion to the mean & last weeks high vol was the reasoning for such huge volumes. Thanks for a great read

1 Like

Can I learn from your dashboards what the net position is of all the traders in a certain asset expressed in % of the total amount of that asset made available by JLP holders. Basically, I’d like to know X for (1-X)(my position) the position I need to hedge to be completely neutral.

Here I can see the long utilization of the SOL pool (32.58%, but where can I check, the short utilization [%] (compared to the full SOL pool size).
Does the pool size also contain collateral of the traders?

pool size 301.48M
long OI 105.52M - 35% <> 32.58% (Why the gap)?
short OI 8.96M - 3%

Why does is there a difference between my calculation and the dasboard?

nice report, we know for the news but always good have detailed info. ty

1 Like

Hey @qufuz, other than monitoring JLP’s market price and the fee + PnL metrics we cover in this report, not yet. However, we are working on adding a chart to the Chaos Labs’ Jupiter Dashboard that should help you answer this question in the future. We will include this in the weekly report when it’s available.

1 Like

Does the pool size also contain collateral of the traders?

Yes, it currently does. We recognize that this makes it harder to determine JLP holders’ net exposures and are looking into subtracting traders’ collateral from LPs’ deposits when calculating each asset’s pool size going forward.

Here I can see the long utilization of the SOL pool (32.58%, but where can I check, the short utilization [%] (compared to the full SOL pool size).

You can find short OI within the Open Interest distribution graph on each market-specific dashboard page. You can deduce short utilization [%] from the “Short” value displayed upon hover.

Can I learn from your dashboards what the net position is of all the traders in a certain asset expressed in % of the total amount of that asset made available by JLP holders. Basically, I’d like to know X for (1-X)(my position) the position I need to hedge to be completely neutral.

Yes, though you’d need to pull data from multiple different pages. The math is as follows:

\text{Net exposure \%} = \frac{\text{Total pooled \{asset\} value in USD} - \left(\text{\{asset\} long OI in USD} - \text{\{asset\} short OI in USD}\right)}{\text{Total pooled \{asset\} value in USD}} \times \text{Current weightage of asset in pool}

For example, for SOL, the math is approximately:

\frac{\$300\text{M} - \left(\$129\text{M} - \$11\text{M}\right)}{\$300\text{M}} \times 44.5\% \approx 27\%

In other words, For every $1 of JLP you hold, you are currently effectively long 27 cents of SOL.

Doing the same math for BTC and ETH would currently result in roughly 4.7% / 5 cents and 7.8% / 8 cents , respectively.

1 Like