On working in public and my reflections leading the Catdet WG

With the proposal for microgrants towards the formation of baby WGs passing, thought I would take the opportunity to share a few of my thoughts/learnings from the past couple of months leading the Catdets WG and also from working with various DAOs and communities.

Hopefully this would be helpful to those who are trying to form their baby WGs and work with the community.

Actually, most of the times I have no idea what I am doing. :cat:

But I think it’s a combination of:

• having a vision of what I want to create/achieve

• knowing certain rules of thumb and principles very well, and operating closely based on them

• listening closely to the community, not just read or hear, but really listen; I try, sometimes it’s painful, and I’m still learning how to do it better, but I try

• making decisions based on all of the above within certain operating constraints

Let me talk more about one of my recent fuck-ups.

In the month of July, I was extremely swamped by my commitments across all my projects and other IRL stuff - this led to a loss of focus on certain aspects of community work. To some extent I could feel the vibes deteriorating in the Jupiter Discord in real time, there were a few issues we were confronted with:

• lack of a strong purpose for the CoC core, people didn’t really know what they were doing as CoC and wanted to contribute more, but there was no clear way to do so

• internal miscommunication and conflict among some members of the core community. This was especially tough because often it’s not like one side is “obviously” wrong, and sometimes things just need time to be worked out

• the CAWG was not active enough in both the core and wider community. I wasn’t clear enough in activating and leading the team

So there were a few key decisions that we made that I think was important.

Instead of trying to tackle everything at once, we got back down to basics. At its core, a big part of community work is showing up, so we started showing up more in the community, both in Discord and in Twitter.

We listened to the community’s feedback, which was really helpful and clear (even though sometimes it can be painful), and we took time to digest.

One of the principles I believe in is that a good community is one that is productive, not just in quantity of “output”, but in quality. Culture is hard to measure and define, but I think one way to define a strong culture is one that leads to productive outcomes – creates great value for the organisation.

Something that meow said to me has stuck with me a lot and that is we should focus on “having fun”.

On the surface this may seem contradictory to being productive, but if you read some of the literature on this topic, work as “play” actually activates the highest level of creativity and productivity. So truly, if we bring back the vibes, culture will improve and productivity will soar.

The other principle that I leaned heavily into, is that it’s much better to encourage positive behaviour than to police bad behaviour. One of the things the Catdets WG talked about at the start before we even got elected as a trial WG was about how do we stop ourselves from becoming the ‘Culture police’. That is the last thing we want. A free environment, where everyone is free to express themselves is very important. But at the same time, the community does need to have certain guidelines and ethos to remain as a healthy collective.

Armed with these principles, we doubled our efforts to communicate more, show up more, and accelerated efforts to co-create the guidelines, ethos and rules with the community. There were several iterations to this, many sessions in public where we worked together to ensure everyone, both in Discord and in the wider community had a voice in expressing their thoughts on it. Even now as I type this, we will be having another session towards the end of August to once again engage the wider community on these and clarify the process of becoming a Catdet and also the opportunities that come with being one.

To get everyone aligned and really activate the entire community in supporting and growing together with these shared ethos, we also developed some tools to aid us, one of which is Discord bot that allows community members to appreciate each other easily. The idea behind it was simple, but people do really feel seen and appreciated, and sometimes like I mentioned, encouraging positive behaviours and highlighting the good stuff, is just a lot more effective than trying to prevent bad behaviour. Fast-forward a couple of weeks, it has seen extensive usage. It is the first iteration, and we will be doing a retrospective on that soon and shipping some improvements/changes in the upcoming weeks.

During this process, we also got the opportunity to collaborate and work with many amazing community members. It was during this time that we started up the Mindfulness sessions with Sambino; it was also during this time that we supported and worked with Wake and Sax on booting up their podcast, which has now become Jup & Juice.

Our vision as the Catdet WG has always been to find a way to develop Jupiter’s community culture into one that is the most productive, and by that I really mean that we have the most fun while collaborating with each other to move Jupiter forward.

I can’t speak for any other person or WGs, but I believe that working closely with the community and in public while challenging is extremely rewarding. It starts simply from just showing up and spending time caring about others and caring about Jupiter.

To end off, I think it’s extremely fortunate for the whole of crypto and web3 that Jupiter has the resources and most importantly the leadership vision to support this new way of working as a DAO. It’s really a grand experiment that has the potential to show the world a different side of crypto. I urge everyone to appreciate and respect this opportunity, instead of abusing the trust, resources and opportunities made available.

LFGrow. :heart:

13 Likes

I do feel JUP is defs very open! Like I drop the occasional F bomb in chat and no one gets offended: some of my jokes are a little … y know … my bad

May I add to this ? It would be cool for users to be able to send jup with their appreciation. Obv they don’t have to, but people may wanna send 1 $JUP with an appreciation.

I’m glad you mentioned this point! WG could easily abuse the process but they don’t! It’s truely amazing.

I feel the closer we get to Jupuary the more hype that will come!

I’m extremely excited (like most) for the ASR and Jupuary votes.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing Julian :heart: CAWG is doing amazing work​:fire::fire: we’re all so grateful :heart_hands:

4 Likes

You are an inspiration good sir. Never stop being the master chef in this space that you are and thank you for all you do!

3 Likes

Thank you, Julian, for your transparency and reflections. Your insights into leading the Catdet WG and working within the DAO framework resonate deeply. It’s clear that the challenges you faced and the principles you’ve leaned on are essential to fostering a thriving community.

Your approach to leading by example showing up, listening, and fostering a positive culture sets a strong foundation. The shift to focus on fun and positivity while encouraging organic growth within the community is a lesson in itself. It’s inspiring to see how this approach has led to tangible results, from the engagement on Discord to the development of collaborative projects like Jup & Juice.

I appreciate the honesty about the challenges faced and how you’ve navigated them. The decision to not become the ‘Culture police’ but instead nurture a healthy, self-regulating community speaks volumes about your leadership style. Encouraging positive behavior over policing negativity is a philosophy that can lead to long term sustainability and growth.

Looking forward to seeing how these initiatives evolve and contribute to Jupiter’s mission. It’s exciting to be part of a DAO that prioritizes community and innovation in such a meaningful way. Let’s keep the momentum going and continue to grow together. LFGROW.:green_heart:

4 Likes

I think this is the secret recipe that will drive JUP ecosystem overall to success. And i do believe we are on the best way there and hAppy to be part of it. Thank you again for sharing @julianhzhu LFG! :rocket:

4 Likes

Thanks for this vulnerable and sincere retrospective, Julian. I’ve learned much from you and appreciate your leadership, it has been an absolute blast for me to be a part of the CAWG Trial WG and I’m super proud of everything we’ve worked hard to accomplish already!

3 Likes

I really wanna add value and contribute, Ive been doing curating for some other chain dapps and communities but I just love solana and Jup ethos tbh, what would be the best way to get involve? discord?

3 Likes

Discord, Twitter, here and Reddit – I would say as of now.

2 Likes

@julianhzhu defs flies under the radar here at JUPITER! he does a great job. Cant talk highly of him enough. Incredibly underrated. Just so you know, it doesnt go unnoticed in my eyes!

3 Likes

Brilliant and thanks for sharing your journey with the community. I was particularly drawn to your comment above. That for me is the key ingredient to thrive in any community. Once you can do this, all what you deliver will be centred around what the community needs. That’s leadership.

3 Likes